Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Songs Under Construction 'Kast - Episode #31

Now the final mixing starts! This is my first stab at a real mix of "I Like The Way She Cleans Erasers." It's labeled "Mix 0.5" which pretty much means I don't consider it to be final. When you start to see mix numbers like 1.0, that means I consider them final - even though The one we actually release might be adjusted further - numbered like 1.1 or higher depending on the number of iterations. A lot of times I listen to a mix the next day (what I call "the next day reality check") and discover things like snare drums too loud or pianos too buried. If I make an adjustment at the mastering stage rather than the mix stage, it gets a number like 1.01 (this would be the first master adjustment on mix number 1.0). In our file system, you would songs numbered like 2.32 (a significant re-mix with three revisions PLUS two mastering revisions of Mix 2.3).

Ok - enough ramble and on to the song. The album is starting to take shape!

Join us on this album by joining our Facebook collaboration page.

Subscribe to the feed here. We're now up at "the iTunes".