Saturday, January 12, 2008

Jigsaw Puzzles

When The Song Of The Day was done, I took a few days off of everything (music, work, email, phone) to recover, rest, catch up on sleep and some movies and TV that I missed over the past two years. One of the things I did during those days off was starting to assemble a jigsaw puzzle. I haven't done that in over 10 years - it's something I used to find to be a zen/meditative experience, so I thought it would be perfect for my few post-SOTD recovery days. And it was.

Right now, I'm assembling another kind of jigsaw puzzle. We've chosen a 47 song collection that we feel is representative of our 365 song accomplishment to become a "best of" package. As with all traditional albums (and now, iTunes playlists), these songs must be put into a sequence that flows well, makes sense, and tells a story. As I am going through these songs taking a stab at a sequence, it's a lot like the jigsaw puzzle I started last week. I find two or three songs that fit together, but finding a spot for them in the whole sequence - not so easy. Right now I have the "edge pieces" in place - the starting and finishing tracks of what will be each of 2 discs. It's the middle part that's still sitting in chunks. Just like the puzzle on my dining room table...