Friday, October 3, 2008

A Bunsen Burner Birthday

Yesterday was my birthday. Normally I don't tell too many people and don't expect much of a big deal to be made, but these days, Facebook seems to tell everyone for me, which I have to admit is kinda fun.

Luckily this year, my b-day landed right at midnight during the weekly Scott Besaw open mic at Bad Dog Tavern. I'd like to thank the Wednesday night regular crew for making it a hell of a lot of fun. Randy and Tom joined me to play Going Commando and Sick of Sandwiches. At the end of the night, our fearless host Scott even asked me to play again. I took the opportunity to play a cover of Rush's Spirit of Radio (something I've been wanting to do for years), but also, I had to play Bunsen Burner. Here's why: Cathy, a good friend who's part of the regular crew gave me an actual bunsen burner for my b-day. How cool is that?


Bunsen Burner


One more birthday note: yesterday evening I was treated to one of those rare sunsets outside my front windows where the clouds reflect the light just right and, for only a minute or so, the whole sky glows red and purple. It's the kind of sky that inspired me to write this instrumental a number of years ago.

La Salle Sunset