Sunday, December 28, 2008

So Long, Goodbye (Again)

A year really isn't a very long period of time. This last one blasted past in a blink. Right now, I'm working on re-mixing and mastering songs for our forthcoming Best Of TheSongOfTheDay.com album. For several of the songs on the collection, we have gone back and added bits and pieces that we would have if we had time during The Song Of The Day project. We've been able to take care of those always-present "oh man - I wish I would have added that guitar riff" regrets. I've also been working with new mastering tools (iZotope Ozone) and really learning how to do the sound justice.

As I adjust some things in the mix and master of So Long, Goodbye I can't help but reflect on the fact that one year ago I sat in this same spot finishing the song so I could post it to the site before December 31 so we could take off and head up to our Studio North facility in Lake Geneva for New Years. Right now I'm doing the exact same thing - finishing up So Long, Goodbye (with a couple of new surprises in store). Listening to the coda of the song, I can't help but get a bit teary-eyed nostalgic for that end of those long days of recording, mixing, and mastering that kept us SO busy during 2007.

I can't WAIT to get started on the 2009 RPM Challenge so I can have that taste of constant frantic music production once again!